Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is there a nicer word for procrastination?

OK, let's be honest, I must be one of the best procrastinators in history. You doubt me I'm sure. After all, many people share my talent, but I can prove my claims. Today, I shall treat you to one example of my greatness.

Example #1 The Broken Windshield

About a year ago, I was driving on the freeway (actually on my way to get my registration renewed at the DMV the day before it expired, ironically enough) and a rock hit my windshield. A little tiny chip- really not a big deal. I have full glass coverage so all I had to do was call my insurance company and have them send someone out to fix it. It would literally take less than 30 minutes of my time for the phone call and repair combined, but did I do it?

Please... would I be writing this blog if I did?

Three months later, I come out of work to find that the scorching Arizona sun has enlarged my tiny chip from the size of a pencil eraser to three sprawling cracks that completely cover my windshield. Now would be an excellent time to call the insurance company, right?

Perhaps... if I were an amateur procrastinator.

Fast forward another 8 months (yes, 11 months after the initial chip) and I am STILL driving around with three cracks that run the entire length of my windshield. At this point, I know if I don't fix it now, it will probably be another year before I get around to it. So I actually look up the phone number. And write it down. And plan to make the phone call. Except... I don't.

Well, last weekend (a full year from the rock incident) a friend of mine decided to take matters into his own hands. We were having a lovely dinner and he offered to buy me a drink- IF I made the phone call.

Well, let's just say that it's amazing how motivating a well-made margarita can be!

So, I made the call, enjoyed a fabulous drink, and on Monday had my windshield fixed. I was truly proud of myself for accomplishing the task, but...

Today I drove on the freeway for the first time since getting my windshield fixed.

NO, there was no rock, thank goodness.

However, there IS a terrible squealing sound made by the air that is passing along the edges of my windshield. It would seem that the windshield wasn't sealed correctly and I need to call the glass company to have the problem corrected.

Yeah... I'll get right on that!

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment