Friday, January 30, 2009

January 30th- Do you know what today is?

January 30th is Kazoo Day!

Don't ask me why I find kazoos interesting, but I figured I would share what I found out because I know you are waiting in desperation to learn more about this fantastic instrument. And so I will not hesitate any longer to share what I read on wikipedia.

The kazoo is a device that adds a "buzzing" timbral quality to a player's voice when one vocalizes into it. The kazoo is a type of mirliton - a device which modifies the sound of a person's voice by way of a vibrating membrane.

Such instruments have been used in Africa for hundreds of years, to disguise the sound of somebody's voice or to imitate animals, often for various ceremonial purposes. It was on such an instrument that the kazoo, invented by an African American named Alabama Vest in the 19th century in Macon, Georgia, is based. The first kazoo was manufactured to Vest's specifications by Thaddeus von Clegg, a German clockmaker in Macon. The kazoo was first publicized at the Georgia State Fair in 1852. The first metal kazoos were manufactured and patented in Eden, New York, where they are still made in the original factory.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazoo)

The title of this blog links to the wikipedia page and here's a link to the factory.

Kazoo Museum, Factory, & Gift Shop of Eden


This video is hilarious- if a bit strange.



Have a great day!

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment